Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: choice of SU carb needles

choice of SU carb needles 6 years 2 weeks ago #933

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Martyn, My ZB is a similar setup to yours except I have a 3.9 diff. I was advised to use MB needles as you were (It wasn't me was it?) So I was interested that you found AO's to be better. I have never had my car on a rolling road although I would love to, so I am thinking I should try the AOs too. I really need to find a rolling road up here in Scotland that understands SU's.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

choice of SU carb needles 6 years 5 months ago #912

• amartyn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This has been written about before but thought I would record my finding for others to compare, details as follows:-
1957 Magnette ZB
Standard wheels, tyres (radial), rear axle ratio (4.55 :1)
Ford 109 gearbox Hi gear conversion.
MGB 1800cc Gold Seal 18V engine (1972 - 74) Hi comp (8.75 : 1), good oil pressure, good compression, thought to be little warn.
Magnette inlet manifold, original 1.5" carbs, 90 thou jets, original air filter housing fitted K&N element.
Tried MB jets (as fitted to original early MBG with similar carbs) on rolling road but too weak at higher revs, fitted AO jets which gave expected 90 bhp and started to go weak above 4500 rpm, decided to leave them as I don't tend to use high revs!
St St exhaust system (Derrington inspired) bought thru' club.
Car runs very well, is nice and responsive and a pleasure to drive.
I hope this info assists some members who may have similar setups.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds