Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brake adjustment

Brake adjustment 9 years 10 months ago #332

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Bled again. no difference. Brake lights only came on with the "firm pressure" Brake shoes don't move with the "first" pressure.
Clamped all the flexies near the fixed pipes |(to eliminate pipe expansion) no difference
Back under the dash. Serious lengthening of the rod by more winding out. EUREKA! A firm pedal, brake lights come on properly & small "free play" at the pedal!
Don't believe the manual when it says " this is adjusted when manufactured & will rarely need adjustment"
Thanks to all for advice !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brake adjustment 9 years 10 months ago #326

• JONES21
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
David
Always difficult to sort problems remotely but the flexible pipes may be a problem as the modern repro stuff is XXXXXX dangerous the quality is very poor. Suggest using Goodridge or similar.
I fitted repros to an MGA these were new and three failed the MOT due to bulging not apparent except with a longer pedal travel only apparant after I changed to Goodridge
Trevor

Brake adjustment 9 years 10 months ago #325

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
Stood on my head under the dashboard & freed off the adjuster. Wound it out about 3-4 turns(!) no appreciable difference at the pedal...!
The piston rod moves into the cylinder, but nothing happens for about 6mm then the pressure can be felt. Pumping the pedal makes no difference.
I'm now clutching at straws. Weak flexy hoses perhaps( but all pretty new)? Old fluid ??
No shortage of fluid, clutch operates well....
I'll bleed it again!

Brake adjustment 9 years 11 months ago #323

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
I think the clevis pin is ok. I'll wind it out ( I think that should reduce the clearance) & see what happens - I don't think the pin will fall off the piston!
The manual sys 13mm at the pedal before the piston begins to move....
I'll have a go tomorrow...keep you all posted

Brake adjustment 9 years 11 months ago #322

• JONES21
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi David

Like I said it is a fiddle, the 30-40 mm referred to the actual foot pedal at the bottom, this is easier to measure. 13mm at the pushrods pivot will increase the further from the pivot point.
If you have trouble with nut and push rod, remove the Clevis pin and take the whole push rod to the bench, you may find the Clevis pin is worn along with the yoke, the MGA one fits
Trevor

Brake adjustment 9 years 11 months ago #321

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Trevor.
I have attacked the push rod & nut, freed it off, but have yet to move it about. My seat is a ###### to move, let alone remove! But I can stand on my head!
I will check what is & isn't moving.The workshop manual talks about 13mm before the piston starts to move: 30-40 mm seems a lot of free play before anything happens, perhaps I have got used to servoed modern systems (or even no servo early disc brakes like the TR3A!)where the braking starts almost as soon as you touch the pedal!
David
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds