Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: VARITONE. Improvements for longer distance touring

VARITONE. Improvements for longer distance touring 9 years 3 months ago #391

• Guenni
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
I use a 4.1 diff with my 1800 3brg engine incl. manufactured exhaust/manifold. Pulls fine, good acceleration, but I'm going to try a 3.9 which gives another 5% lower revs.
Still have the drum brakes, which are fine.
And it's really a tourer. Drove to John O'Groats last year, which was a 3,000 miles trip without any trouble!
Günter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

VARITONE. Improvements for longer distance touring 9 years 4 months ago #379

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Changing polarity is easy, lots of advice on the forums!
Look for a 3.9 diff & have the speedo recalibrated. My ZA pulls it with ease
(ok I think my block is 1622cc).
Standard brakes are fine, but a small ratio servo will make them lighter.
I did 2200 miles in Europe last year & kept up with Autobahn traffic (75+mph) & 30+ mpg!
5 speeds are nice, but an MGA Mk2 3.9 is all MG!
David

VARITONE. Improvements for longer distance touring 9 years 4 months ago #378

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Fred,

Like many other owners I have adopted most of the modifications you mention apart from the polarity change. The reason I am still +ve ground is that I have an electronic conversion in my fuel pump and I am still using the original +ve ground radio. The gauges and the clock are not polarity sensitive.

Fitting front discs was my most recent mod and I am very pleased with it. I had already fitted a servo (1:1.9 ratio)and had found the drum brakes a bit sharp, but this has disappeared since fitting the discs.

The higher final drive ratio was my very first mod - I fitted a 4.3:1 diff from an MGA which was a direct swap into the Magnette - no complications with the half-shaft splines, and I found it a worthwhile improvement. In my opinion, if you are retaining the 1489cc engine this is about as steep a final drive you will want, but it is a matter of opinion and depends on what sort of performance you expect. All you need to know can be found Here: www.zmagnettetech.info/modifications/rea...of-final-drive-ratio.

I have also fitted the Hi-Gear 5-speed conversion and can recommend it.

Subsequently I fitted an MGB 1800 (3-Main) engine and have acquired a 3.9:1 MGB banjo diff but have yet to try it. I may not bother as the combination of the 4.3 diff and the 5-speed box gives me almost all I want.

In case you haven't found them yet, you should have a look at the bulletin boards here: www2.mg-cars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog...102100099&mode=slist

And here: www.mgexp.com/phorum/list.php?27

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Andy Dear
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by clacksman.

VARITONE. Improvements for longer distance touring 9 years 4 months ago #377

• VBZGAM
  • Fresh Boarder
Apologies to all if these questions have been covered elsewhere, but being a relatively new owner of a very correct and original Varitone, I want to make it slightly more usable for touring as all my cars work for their keep! First.... are there any complications in changing the polarity of the car. I have done this on several cars, but I am not sure if the ZB temperature gauge or fuel gauge will cause any complication.
The second question is on brakes, and the desirability of fitting discs, and of fitting a servo. Any issues?
Is there an off the shelf higher ratio diff available from another model? The possibility of a 5 speed box appeals (I have put one in my T series, and love it!), but if a higher ratio diff is possible, then it would save any major surgery.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds