Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!

TOPIC: Speedometer illumation

Speedometer illumation 6 years 1 month ago #620

• Murray
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Gruntie, I agree on the brightness aspect, it's only a bench test at the moment and I did not have the filter on, that will probably make a lot of difference, ( I couldn't put my hands on it just then!) The only problem with the LED's are they are very directional and give a very bright light. Work in progress! but it certainly helps to be able to see the actual speedo needle!
With a spare speedo it's a lot easier to play about and experiment so I am sure I can get to the optimum visual delight!
Murray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Speedometer illumation 6 years 1 month ago #619

• gruntie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
It's a matter of opinion, but......I think you're going too bright. The speedo face is illuminated, you don't want that, the numerals should fluoresce on their own and just float in a sea of darkness.

A bit like the pic below: excuse it being a bit dark, crappy camera, but the speedo numerals are on a level with other illumination.

IMG_0006_2015-11-01.JPG
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by gruntie.

Speedometer illumation 6 years 1 month ago #618

• Murray
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just a quick photo of what I have cobbled up and bench testing.
5 UV LED's set in a 1/2 circle of plastic, certainly gives a good impression of what it might be like at the moment.
20151031_164151.jpg

Speedometer illumation 6 years 11 months ago #419

• kielyp
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you once again Andy ! That is very useful to know . When those LEDs arrive I have all the information I need to tackle the job !
I will keep you posted on progress and hope to post a photo of the end resul
Thanks also to Gruntie for his input.
Regards from the Emerald Isle ( wet & windy ! )
Pat

Speedometer illumation 6 years 11 months ago #418

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Yes Pat, the condition of the fluorescent paint will undoubtedly have deteriorated. I found there was a small improvement after I carefully cleaned the surface of the paint with isopropyl alcohol using an ear bud.

I also found that all the UV LEDs I tried needed to be mounted perpendicular to the black glass. They were highly directional - even the wide angle versions didn't throw much light (UV or visible) laterally, so mounting them in the orientation of the original tungsten lamp was no use at all.

Speedometer illumation 6 years 11 months ago #417

• kielyp
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for that Geoff, I see what you mean ! Compared to other bulbs on that site, this one is lowest in terms of " lumens " and the only one available in UV.
As you say, it may well be sufficient to cause the speedo markings to flouresce. i suppose to some extent it will also depend as to what degree the original fluorescent paint has degraded over the years ?
Pat
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds