Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Horn ring mystery

Horn ring mystery solved ! 4 years 10 months ago #1088

• GeoffR
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply Simon.
Yes I have studied that "Tutorial" and can see no reason for insulating the springs. The BMC Service Parts List AKD688 shows no insulating washers. In fact my horn ring was modified in this way and did not work except by forcing the spokes of the chrome plated part down onto the steering wheel center.

My horn ring now works as follows :-
The relay coil current path passes up the steering column via wire 33 to the center contact and when depressed via the horn ring contact and springs to chassis earth.
The parts list does show what looks like a grommet which could perhaps sit inside the springs and stabilize them. I wonder if the remains of this part could have caused confusion.
Geoff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Horn ring mystery 4 years 10 months ago #1087

• sbeyertt
  • Fresh Boarder
Have you checked this instruction?
zmagnette-help.com/stator/
explains in detail how to rework the assembly.
Simon

Horn ring mystery 4 years 10 months ago #1086

• GeoffR
  • Fresh Boarder
I have studied my horn switch and all the pictures and advice but I still do not understand how the horn can work when the horn ring is insulated from everything. Surely it must be earthed ?
Am I missing something ?
Help !
Geoff.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by GeoffR. Reason: spelling
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds